Integrated Pest Management in Urban Areas

 Integrated Pest Management in Urban Areas

A Rude Awakening and The Ladybird Predator:

'Madame Ladybird' ~ Illustrated by Kiana Schelling 13yrs

A morning stroll in the garden to harvest some African Wormwood (Artemesia Afra). The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, the mulch is coarse but soothing under my feet. The buzz of traffic in the distance only serves to heighten my sense of gratitude at being at home in our restful tranquil Urban Farmstead garden; pleasured at being able to step out of the house and into our abundant food forest and garden overflowing with edible herbs and veg.

Hold on... what's that? Black specks all over the tips of the African Wormwood plant!  
Aphid infested african wormwood plant

I had noticed them about 3 weeks ago when someone else commented on their plant being infested in a nearby area. 

I nipped off the tips of the plant most affected by aphid infestation, and fed these tips to my chickens. The chickens will peck at the aphids for the extra protein and at the same time may ingest some African Wormwood to help to keep the mites at bay. Hah! Thought I. I'm really getting the hang of this 'single element, multi-functional' principle that passionate permaculture practitioners advocate. So, I left a few aphids on the plant on purpose to encourage predator insects to feast on them. After all, I had, very confidently recommended to my friend that she leave some of the aphids on the plant to attract the beneficial predator insects, so I felt it best to 'walk my talk' and follow my own advice.

On this particular morning, the aphids are at it again in full force!

On closer observation I see evidence of that which makes the urban farmstead gardener beam: 

Ladybird and ladybird larvae (on the left in the photo).


Beautiful ladybirds! I had a ponder as to why they are named lady "birds" - I mean, yes they do fly, but they really don't quite resemble birds? I later found out why they are called lady "birds". You can read up on that here: Why Ladybirds are called ladybirds?

Ladybird predator on african wormwood plant







So, it seems that the ladybirds have taken up residence on our african wormwood plant and seem to be dealing with the aphid infestation swiftly and effectively.

Not many left to pick off and feed to the chickens, as I stroll around the African wormwood plant this morning. 



Happy african wormwood plant
Means that I can now recline in my hammock and enjoy the benefits of observation; and the dynamism of the fully functioning edible urban ecosystem with it's buzzing and crawling insect life!

Tip: A suitable approach to pest and disease management in urban gardens is an integrated one that supports the harmonious functioning of the ecosystem, for long-term regeneration. A great start is to ensure that your soil is healthy and thriving with micro-life. A healthy soil supports healthy plants that are able to withstand insect and disease attack. Then plant a diversity of plants to attract a diverse range of predator insects to the garden. For more tips and if you are interested to learn and discover more about Integrated Pest and Disease Management in urban areas, treat yourself to this quality, well-structured and informative workshop co-facilitated by Saskia Schelling and Karen Parkin, and hosted by Urban Farmstead, Tokai, Cape Town in January 2017.



  



Comments

  1. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now. Ants Control Langley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts